Some of this information could be outdated as of the 01/04/2018 due to the new minimum energy efficiency standard (MEES) requirements. Find out more about the changes in regulation here.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is required under UK law for all domestic and commercial buildings.


Get a new boiler quote   


What is an EPC?

EPCs are similar to EU Energy Labels that grade the energy efficiency of new appliances. EPCs communicate how energy efficient a building is, going from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient).

EPCs can be used to give an indication of how expensive it may be to light and heat a building, and the grade may also include an estimate of carbon dioxide emissions.

Once an assessment has been carried out, EPCs are valid for 10 years.


Why do I need an EPC?


If you're selling or leasing a residential property or commercial building, you must get an approved Domestic Energy Assessor to produce an EPC.

Your EPC will need to be shared with potential buyers or tenants when you place your property or premises on the market.

While homeowners with no plans to sell or lease are under no obligation to hold a valid EPC, they might find it useful in identifying ways they can improve the energy efficiency of their home.


Get a new boiler quote   


What does an EPC say?


When a Domestic Energy Assessor visits your property and completes an assessment they will document the following:


  • Information about your property’s energy consumption and typical energy costs
  • Recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money


What buildings don’t need an EPC?


There are several premises that don’t require an EPC by law. These include:


  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings that will be occupied for less than two years
  • Stand-alone buildings with total floor space of less than 50 square metres
  • Industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy
  • Some buildings that are due to be demolished
  • Holiday accommodation or residential buildings that are rented out for less than four months a year or is let under a licence to occupy
  • Listed buildings


Get a new boiler quote   


Information and other materials on this website are not intended to constitute professional advice and should not be relied upon. Please see our Terms of Use for further details.